Low fat. Zero fat. Fat free. We STILL see it all over the grocery store even when we’ve moved past that in terms of #mathsciencefacts. There is so much misinformation out there about fat…let’s try to set some of it straight.
You need fat. Fat-the right kind of course-is NECESSARY for your body. But what kind of fat? The kind that occurs naturally. The fat in salmon or in almonds or avocados. These food items are naturally packing fat because-why-we NATURALLY need them. They do all kinds of things for your body:
- Aid in digestion and are digested slower, keeping your hunger satiated longer
- Fats help your body absorb nutrients by acting as carriers for Vitamin A, D, E & K
- Unsaturated fats (nuts, salmon, vergetable oil) help raise good cholesterol and decrease the risk of heart disease
- Helps you BURN fat (weird, huh?)
- Prevent buildup of plaque in your arteries
- Helps build/maintain muscle by stimulating muscle protein synthesis and boosting testosterone (which both sexes need and often have low levels of) which increases muscle growth which ultimately increases your metabolism. #winning
You DON’T need the fake crappy fats (trans fats) that come in all things fried and/or processed: cookies, chips, french fries, doughnuts and margarine. That’s probably kind of obvious…but the “fat free cookies” and whatnot in the stores…just no. I cringe every time I see that. There’s nothing healthy about cookies. If you’re eating cookies, healthy eating is not your goal at that particular moment, so get the good stuff. =D Just make it a treat, not a habit.
The 21 Day Fix helps us understand which fats to eat and how much with that beautiful little blue container. It weighs in at about 1/4 cup for the entire day. Questions?