Grandma’s Tomato Sauce
Serves 12 (about 1/2 cup per serving)
Calories 123 * Fat 4g * Sodium 343mg * Carbs 13g * Protein 4g * Fiber 3g * Sugars 11g * Cholesterol 5mg
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste, no salt added
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 cans (28 oz each) peeled and crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 oz parmesan cheese rind
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 5-6 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes. Do not let tomato paste burn!
- Add wine; cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, agave, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Add cheese rind, cook for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil.
Use the best tomatoes possible Autumn notes in her cookbook to use San Marzano or Cento canned tomatoes. She buys the whole peeled because she says those that produce them save the best tomatoes for this product! She also says the cheese is not necessary, which I agree and I do not use it.
I serve this with turkey meatballs & roasted spaghetti squash or sautéed zucchini noodles.
Meatballs (5 meatballs, 1 red 1/2 yellow)
- 1.5 ground turkey
- 1 tsp sea/Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- fresh parsley
- 2 TBSP spaghetti sauce
- 1 TBSP parmesan cheese
- Spaghetti squash: cut in half, spray with olive oil and place face down in oven. Cook for at least 45 minutes at 400. Scrape seeds out…then the squash should be soft and scrape right off, resembling spaghetti. Use as a green.
Preheat oven to 400. Lightly coat large baking sheet w/ nonstick spray. Combine turkey, salt, pepper, oregano, parsley and tomato sauce in large bowl, mix well. Form 30 1 inch meatballs, bake for 15-20 minutes.
Zucchini: Either use a veggie tool or cheese grater to slice/etc zucchini. Squeeze excess water, sauté with olive oil, garlic and sea/Himalayan salt.
Spaghetti squash: Cut in half, spray with olive oil. Cook face down in 400 oven for at least 45 minutes. Scrape seeds out, shred with fork. Squash should easily separate in the shape of spaghetti.
Serve 1/2 cup sauce with 1 cup veggie of choice and 5 meatballs. 2 greens, 1 red, 1/2 yellow.