It occurred to me on my run this morning that so many of us are trying to cure things from the outside in rather than the inside out.
- We’re trying to change what we eat. Outside in.
- We’re trying to change what we spend money on. Outside in.
- We’re trying to change a loved one’s behaviour. Outside in.
- We’re trying to watch Netflix so we don’t have to feel the anxiety. Outside in.
- We’re trying to run off the weekend’s calories (was that just me?). Outside in.
I was thinking about this because I realized earlier this morning that I’ve felt like I was inside a tornado for the last several months. While I’ve been reaching out to the things that usually sustain me, I feel that I’m not totally connected with them. This goes for my faith, my fitness and even my relationships. So, I told God all about it (as if he didn’t know) this morning and I’m ready to feel differently.
So, why is the inside out better? Because when we heal from the inside out, the external things become extraneous. They become byproducts.
- Practice solitude, thinking about thoughts. Less anxiety, more peace. Inside out.
- Practice gratitude, feel content, no need for binge spending. Inside out.
- Do things that bring you joy, less desire to find it in food. Filled with joy, not with sugar. Inside out.
- Practice self-love & focus on self-improvement. Increased compassion, less trying to control others. Inside out.
I mean, the truth is we can’t control the external things anyway. So, today, let’s make sure that our actions are helping us reach our goals from the inside out. Have a great week!